All Star Circuit of Champions
Kerry Madsen hard charges from tenth to score All Star victory at 34 Raceway
WEST BURLINGTON, Iowa (July 30, 2021) - It was a long way to the top for the “Madman” Kerry Madsen, but the open wheel veteran out of Knoxville, Iowa, via New South Wales, Australia, made it look effortless on Friday night at 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa, ultimately charging ahead nine spots to secure his place in FloRacing All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1 victory lane. The triumph, Madsen’s first of the season with the Series and tenth overall, scored the Tony Stewart/Curb-Agajanian Racing wheelman a $6,000 payday, holding off a late advancement by Clauson Marshall Racing’s Tyler Courtney.
The nine-spot rally also secured Madsen the evening’s Hard Charger Award for advancing the most feature positions.
“I just want to thank everyone at Tony Stewart Racing for the opportunity. It’s been such a pleasure to drive this thing,” Kerry Madsen said, driver of the Rush Truck Centers/Advance Auto Parts/Ford Performance/Curb Records/Sage Fruit/No. 14 sprint car. “The guys work their butts off and give me a fast race car every night. This Ford Performance 410 is unbelievable. I just really love racing it.”
Despite starting from the inside of row five, Madsen made his presence known rather quickly, utilizing the very bottom of the speedway to power his way to third by lap seven. Continuing his march on the bottom, Madsen eventually maneuvered his way to second, sneaking by Sam McGhee Motorsports’ Spencer Bayston on lap 14. Meanwhile, the “Northpole Nightmare” Bill Balog held down the fort, leading the way from the pole position while focusing on 34 Raceway’s outer edge.
Despite Balog’s attempt to outrun his fellow frontrunners, his momentum on the cushion was no match for Madsen’s smoothness on the bottom. Lap after lap, Madsen chopped away at Balog’s lead, closing the gap to just a car length by lap 18, then pulling even with the B Squared Motorsports entry the following circuit. By the completion of lap 20, Madsen was the new man in charge, using the exit of turn four to propel himself beyond Balog’s No. 17B.
Tyler Courtney, who followed Madsen passed Balog on lap 22, did his best to dethrone the former Knoxville Raceway track champion, but even with lapped traffic on his side, and a pair of lap 26 cautions keeping the field bunched, the Indianapolis, Indiana-native was no match for the Tony Stewart Racing veteran.
Courtney did manage to slip by briefly, but Madsen immediately reclaimed the position, turning back underneath the NOS Turbo No. 7BC.
“When he slipped by me, I was able to turn back underneath him. I felt like once we got going and I was able to hit my marks, I was fine,” Madsen continued. “I just can't’ thank everyone enough. We’ll do what we can to do this again tomorrow night.”
The All Star Circuit of Champions will conclude their Midwest showcase with a visit to the world-famous Knoxville Raceway in Knoxville, Iowa, on Saturday, July 31. The event, also featuring Knoxville’s competitive 360 sprint car class, will award a $7,000 payday. Elk Grove, California’s Kyle Larson is the defending All Star Knoxville Raceway winner, outdriving a 13th-starting Rico Abreu and Fresno, California’s Gio Scelzi.
For those who can not witness the All Star Circuit of Champions live and in person, FloRacing.com, the official media partner and broadcast provider of the All Stars, has you covered. To access live and on-demand racing action from the All Star Circuit of Champions, visit FloRacing.com and become an annual PRO subscriber. Race fans can see all the USAC and dirt late-model action they want in addition to Eldora Speedway’s slate of races and those of the All Star Circuit of Champions. The subscription unlocks access to premium content across the entire FloSports network. Watch the events across all screens by downloading the FloSports app on iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire and Chromecast.
Contingency Awards/Results: 34 Raceway | Friday, July 30, 2021:
C&R Racing Hot Laps: Marcus Dumesny | 13.176
Dixie Vodka Fast Qualifier: Spencer Bayston | 13.476
Ford Performance Heat #1 Winner: Gio Scelzi
All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads Heat #2 Winner: Cory Eliason
Hunt Brothers Pizza Heat #3 Winner: Zeb Wise
Kear’s Speed Shop Dash presented by Elliott’s Custom Trailers and Carts Winner: Bill Balog
FloRacing A-Main Winner: Kerry Madsen
Hercules Tires A-Main Hard Charger: Kerry Madsen (+9)
- 11-Spencer Bayston, 13.476; 2. 9T-Kasey Kahne, 13.587; 3. 17B-Bill Balog, 13.608; 4. 91-Kyle Reinhardt, 13.611; 5. 7BC-Tyler Courtney, 13.625; 6. 13-Justin Peck, 13.751; 7. 24-Rico Abreu, 13.757; 8. 14-Kerry Madsen, 13.840; 9. 4-Cap Henry, 13.857; 10. 18-Gio Scelzi, 13.878; 11. 26-Cory Eliason, 13.889; 12. 10-Zeb Wise, 13.894; 13. 55-Hunter Schuerenberg, 13.917; 14. 55m-McKenna Haase, 13.966; 15. 47N-Marcus Dumesny, 13.970; 16. 18T-Tanner Holmes, 14.096; 17. O7-Skylar Gee, 14.139; 18. 5-Paul McMahan, 14.155; 19. 25-Austin McCarl, 14.165; 20. 7B-Ben Brown, 14.252; 21. 7TAZ-Tasker Phillips, 14.278; 22. 22-Riley Goodno, 14.316; 23. 49-Josh Schneiderman, 14.683
Heat #1 - Group (A) (8 Laps) - Top 8 Transfer
- 18-Gio Scelzi ; 2. 24-Rico Abreu ; 3. 91-Kyle Reinhardt ; 4. 55-Hunter Schuerenberg ; 5. 11-Spencer Bayston ; 6. 25-Austin McCarl ; 7. 22-Riley Goodno ; 8. 18T-Tanner Holmes 
Heat #2 - Group (A) (8 Laps) - Top 8 Transfer
- 26-Cory Eliason ; 2. 14-Kerry Madsen ; 3. 7BC-Tyler Courtney ; 4. 9T-Kasey Kahne ; 5. O7-Skylar Gee ; 6. 55m-McKenna Haase ; 7. 49-Josh Schneiderman ; 8. 7B-Ben Brown 
Heat #3 - Group (A) (8 Laps) - Top 8 Transfer
- 10-Zeb Wise ; 2. 4-Cap Henry ; 3. 17B-Bill Balog ; 4. 13-Justin Peck ; 5. 5-Paul McMahan ; 6. 7TAZ-Tasker Phillips ; 7. 47N-Marcus Dumesny 
Dash #1 (6 Laps)
- 17B-Bill Balog ; 2. 91-Kyle Reinhardt ; 3. 11-Spencer Bayston ; 4. 10-Zeb Wise ; 5. 7BC-Tyler Courtney ; 6. 9T-Kasey Kahne ; 7. 18-Gio Scelzi ; 8. 26-Cory Eliason 
A-Main (30 Laps)
- 14-Kerry Madsen ; 2. 7BC-Tyler Courtney ; 3. 17B-Bill Balog ; 4. 18-Gio Scelzi ; 5. 11-Spencer Bayston ; 6. 26-Cory Eliason ; 7. 55-Hunter Schuerenberg ; 8. 10-Zeb Wise ; 9. 5-Paul McMahan ; 10. 13-Justin Peck ; 11. 47N-Marcus Dumesny ; 12. 9T-Kasey Kahne ; 13. 7TAZ-Tasker Phillips ; 14. O7-Skylar Gee ; 15. 18T-Tanner Holmes ; 16. 22-Riley Goodno ; 17. 49-Josh Schneiderman ; 18. 7B-Ben Brown ; 19. 91-Kyle Reinhardt ; 20. 24-Rico Abreu ; 21. 55M-McKenna Haase ; 22. 4-Cap Henry ; 23. 25-Austin McCarl  Lap Leaders: Bill Balog (1-19), Kerry Madsen (20-30)
Midwest Swing Outline:
Saturday, July 31
Knoxville Raceway | Knoxville, Iowa
Driver’s Meeting: 6 p.m.
Hot Laps: 7:15 p.m.
2021 All Star Circuit of Champions Winners:
- Screven Motor Speedway, Georgia (January 29, 2021): Donny Schatz
- Screven Motor Speedway, Georgia (January 30, 2021): Aaron Reutzel
- East Bay Raceway Park, Florida (February 2, 2021): Donny Schatz (2)
- Volusia Speedway Park, Florida (February 3, 2021): Logan Schuchart
- Volusia Speedway Park, Florida (February 4, 2021): Carson Macedo
- Attica Raceway Park, Ohio (April 3, 2021): Justin Peck
- Virginia Motor Speedway, Virginia (April 15, 2021): Tony Stewart
- Williams Grove Speedway, Pennsylvania (April 16, 2021): Kyle Larson
- Port Royal Speedway, Pennsylvania (April 17, 2021): Logan Wagner
- Bedford Speedway, Pennsylvania (April 18, 2021): Anthony Macri
- Sharon Speedway, Ohio (May 1, 2021): Justin Peck (2)
- Tri-City Raceway Park, Pennsylvania (May 2, 2021): Sam Hafertepe Jr.
- I-96 Speedway, Michigan (May 14, 2021): Tyler Courtney
- Dirt Oval at Route 66, Illinois (May 15, 2021): Kyle Reinhardt
- Circle City Raceway, Indiana (May 20, 2021): Tyler Courtney (2)
- Circle City Raceway, Indiana (May 21, 2021): Tyler Courtney (3)
- Gas City I-69 Speedway, Indiana (May 22, 2021): Cap Henry
- Kokomo Speedway, Indiana (May 23, 2021): Zeb Wise
- Port Royal Speedway, Pennsylvania (May 31, 2021): Lance Dewease
- Fairbury Speedway, Illinois (June 3, 2021): Tyler Courtney (4)
- Wilmot Raceway, Wisconsin (June 4, 2021): Tyler Courtney (5)
- Plymouth Dirt Track, Wisconsin (June 5, 2021): Bill Balog
- Angell Park Speedway, Wisconsin (June 6, 2021): Bill Balog (2)
- SW Attica Raceway Park, Ohio (June 11, 2021): Ian Madsen
- SW Fremont Speedway, Ohio (June 12, 2021): Cole Duncan
- SW Wayne County Speedway, Ohio (June 14, 2021): Kyle Larson (2)
- SW Sharon Speedway, Ohio (June 15, 2021): Danny Dietrich
- SW Waynesfield Raceway Park, Ohio (June 16, 2021): Kyle Larson (3)
- SW Muskingum County Speedway, Ohio (June 17, 2021): Justin Peck (3)
- SW Portsmouth Raceway Park, Ohio (June 19, 2021): Paul McMahan
- Stateline Speedway, New York (July 9, 2021): Hunter Schuerenberg
- Sharon Speedway, Ohio (July 10, 2021): Spencer Bayston
- Lake Ozark Speedway, Missouri (July 23, 2021): Cap Henry (2)
- Lake Ozark Speedway, Missouri (July 24, 2021): Christopher Bell
- Humboldt Speedway, Kansas (July 25, 2021): Tyler Courtney (6)
- I-70 Motorsports Park, Missouri (July 27, 2021): Brian Brown
- Mo. State Fair Speedway, Missouri (July 29, 2021): Tyler Courtney (7)
- 34 Raceway, Iowa (July 30, 2021): Kerry Madsen
2021 All Star Circuit of Champions Driver Standings (as of 7/30/21):
- Tyler Courtney - 4640
- Cory Eliason - 4352
- Hunter Schuerenberg - 4306
- Cap Henry - 4238
- Zeb Wise - 4226
- Bill Balog - 4206
- Paul McMahan - 4180
- Justin Peck - 3858
- Kyle Reinhardt - 3788
- Rico Abreu - 3162
About the All Star Circuit of Champions:
All Star Enterprises, LLC, wholly owned by Tony Stewart, d/b/a the All Star Circuit of Champions, is a winged sprint car series. The All Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series is one of the oldest traveling 410 sprint car organizations and is a staple of grassroots, open-wheel racing. Formed in 1970 by Bud Miller, the series has largely been considered the first 'outlaw' Sprint Car organization of the modern era. Motorsports entrepreneur Tony Stewart agreed to terms with Guy Webb to become the sole owner of the original winged sprint car tour in January of 2015.
Founded in 2006, FloSports is a subscription video streaming service dedicated to sports, offering live and on-demand access to hundreds of thousands of competition events across 25+ vertical sport categories in the US and abroad. FloSports’ mission is to give underserved sports the love they deserve. With a growing library of more than 300,000 hours of premium content including news, expert commentary, films, documentaries and more, FloSports has established itself as an innovator and leader in sports streaming. Finally, your sport has a home. For more information, please visit: flosports.tv.
About Mobil 1:
The world's leading synthetic motor oil brand, Mobil 1™ features anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond our conventional motor oils. This technology allows Mobil 1 to meet or exceed the toughest standards of car builders and to provide exceptional protection against engine wear, under normal or even some of the most extreme conditions. Mobil 1 flows quickly in extreme temperatures to protect critical engine parts and is designed to maximize engine performance and help extend engine life. For more information, visit mobiloil.com, on Twitter @Mobil1 and, on Facebook, www.facebook.com/mobil1. Mobil, Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Racing are registered trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
Photo: Chad Warner
Contact: Tyler Altmeyer
FloRacing All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1
(724) 954-4915, firstname.lastname@example.org
Article Credit: Tyler Altmeyer
Submitted By: Tyler Altmeyer