All Star Circuit of Champions
Aaron Reutzel claims inaugural Buckeye Cup at Sharon Speedway for first-ever All Star victory
Aaron Reutzel claims inaugural Buckeye Cup at Sharon Speedway for first-ever All Star victory
HARTFORD, Ohio (May 5, 2018) - Although close during recent competition, finishing second to Lance Dewease during the annual Keith Kauffman Classic at Port Royal (Pa.) Speedway, Clute, Texas’ Aaron Reutzel was never an All Star Circuit of Champions winner. That statistic changed Saturday evening as Reutzel dominated main event competition at Sharon Speedway to claim the inaugural “Buckeye Cup,” ultimately leading all 30 circuits around the Hartford, 3/8-mile oval to earn the $5,000 payday, as well as a first-ever Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1 main event victory.
In addition, the “Buckeye Cup” triumph propelled Reutzel to the top of the All Star Circuit of Champions driver standings, now holding a ten-point advantage over the “Wild Child” Jac Haudenschild.
Fourth-starting Carson Macedo chased Reutzel to the final checkers, followed by Jac Haudenschild, Parker Price-Miller, and Tony Stewart.
“I could see my crew guy in turn one telling me that I had a huge lead. I’ve never laughed racing, but to see that big guy motion to me that I was clear was pretty funny,” Aaron Reutzel said, driver of the Baughman-Reutzel Motorsports/Folkens Brothers Trucking/No. 87 sprint car. “We’ve been close with the All Stars a few times, so to get a win now kinda puts some stress behind us. Now we have the rest of the year to enjoy and try to win more.”
Starting from the pole position by way of dash victory, Reutzel’s campaign at the front of the field was only put to the test once. A caution on lap six, followed by red flag conditions as the result of a multi-car incident on the ensuing restart, forced the field to be bunched back together. Despite being tailed during the single-file restart by Lemoore, California’s Carson Macedo, and three-time NASCAR Cup champion, Tony Stewart, Reutzel never faltered, wasting little time returning to a commanding lead that increased to nearly three seconds by lap ten.
Even during periods of heavy traffic, which came into play as early as lap 11, Reutzel maintained complete control, utilizing the ultra-thin cushion that lined the very outer rim of the speedway. Reutzel’s lead increased to nearly six seconds by lap 25, eventually crossing under the final checkers by a margin of victory equalling 5.3 seconds.
Despite Reutzel’s commanding performance at the front of the field, plenty of action was unfolding behind for former ASCS national champion that included an impressive hard charge by Jac Haudenschild to finish third after starting 16th. Kokomo, Indiana’s Parker Price-Miller was also making moves during the 30-lapper, battling ahead ten positions to earn his fourth top-five performance of the 2018 season against the All Star Circuit of Champions.
“We are having a lot of fun right now. To be fast like this right out of the box is unbelievable,” Reutzel continued. “We put this team together on December 20th. When you surround yourself with great people like I do, anything is possible. Things are going great right now. I’m pretty blessed to be in this spot.”
The Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1 will take a weekend off before returning to competition on Saturday and Sunday, May 19-20, with a pair of visits in the Badger State. Invading Plymouth Dirt Track-Sheybogan County Fairgrounds and Angell Park Speedway, respectively, the All Star Circuit of Champions will challenge the IRA Outlaw Sprint Series during their weekend tour of Wisconsin; the first and only Wisconsin visit for Tony Stewart’s All Stars in 2018.
Those seeking additional news and notes regarding the upcoming starts in the Badger State should visit each facility live on the Web at http://www.plymouthdtr.com/ and http://www.angellparkspeedway.net/.
On a special note, in addition to the rescheduled Lernerville Speedway appearance set for Friday, June 1, the Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1 will also visit Bedford Speedway in Bedford, Pa., on Sunday, June 3. The All Stars were scheduled to make their first and only appearance at the Bedford Fairgrounds half-mile on Sunday, April 15, but unseasonably cold temperatures and wet weather forced an early cancellation.
Contingency Awards/Results: Sharon Speedway - Saturday, May 5, 2018:
Event: Inaugural Buckeye Cup
EMi Driver’s Meeting: 43 entries
State Water Heaters Warm-Ups: Chad Kemenah - 13.692 seconds
Lincoln Electric Fast Qualifier: Chad Kemenah - 14.051 seconds
Ford Performance Heat #1: Brandon Spithaler
All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads Heat #2: Carl Bowser
Hunt Brothers Pizza Heat #3: Aaron Reutzel
Mobil 1 Heat #4: Tony Stewart
Ford Performance Heat #5: George Hobaugh
Elliott’s Custom Trailers and Carts C-main: Gary Kriess, Jr.
JE Pistons Dash #1: Aaron Reutzel
Wix Filters Dash #2: Carl Bowser
Classic Ink USA B-Main: Travis Philo
Daido Engine Bearings Main Event Winner: Aaron Reutzel
MSD Performance Hard Charger Award: Jac Haudenschild (+13)
(Lincoln Electric, Daido Engine Bearings, MSD Performance: Need decal to qualify for contingency award)
- 10H-Chad Kemenah, 14.0511; 2. 51-John Garvin, 14.4781; 3. 70-Dave Blaney, 14.5986; 4. 22-Brandon Spithaler, 14.8397; 5. D4-Danny Holtgraver, 14.8824; 6. 2-AJ Flick, 14.9228; 7. 4N-Jim Morris, 15.1886; 8. 38-Dennis Wagner, 15.407; 9. 23-Darren Pifer, 15.6634
- 3G-Carson Macedo, 14.0716; 2. 3-Jac Haudenschild, 14.3033; 3. 98-Carl Bowser, 14.5733; 4. 17b-Josh Baughman, 14.7291; 5. 35-Tyler Esh, 15.1652; 6. 71-Ayrton Olsen, 15.3302; 7. 46-Michael Bauer, 15.6546; 8. 76-David Jones, 99.13; 9. 27K-Jeremy Kornbau, 99.18
Group ( C )
- 22C-Cole Duncan, 14.5947; 2. 23JR-Jack Sodeman Jr., 14.6123; 3. 87-Aaron Reutzel, 14.6882; 4. 24-Rico Abreu, 14.7219; 5. 45-Trevor Baker, 14.8804; 6. 11-Max McGhee, 14.8887; 7. 7K-Cale Conley, 15.2867; 8. 13M-Brandon Matus, 15.4439; 9. 33-Brent Matus, 15.5985
- 29-Dan Shetler, 14.7375; 2. 17-Caleb Helms, 14.9106; 3. 35Z-Jared Zimbardi, 14.9139; 4. 14-Tony Stewart, 14.9545; 5. 49x-Tim Shaffer, 15.0542; 6. 126-Bryan Salisbury, 15.7017; 7. 1R-Gale Ruth Jr., 16.1392; 8. 55-Gary Kriess, 17.4888
- 5T-Travis Philo, 14.6465; 2. 81-Lee Jacobs, 14.8987; 3. 4-Parker Price-Miller, 14.9662; 4. 40-George Hobaugh, 15.024; 5. 13-Paul McMahan, 15.2012; 6. 2L-Sye Lynch, 15.3066; 7. 4W-Eric Williams, 15.897; 8. 34M-Michael Marano II, 99.43
Heat #1 - Group (A) (8 Laps) - Top 4 Transfer
- 22-Brandon Spithaler ; 2. 51-John Garvin ; 3. 10H-Chad Kemenah ; 4. 70-Dave Blaney ; 5. D4-Danny Holtgraver ; 6. 38-Dennis Wagner ; 7. 2-AJ Flick ; 8. 4N-Jim Morris ; 9. 23-Darren Pifer 
Heat #2 - Group (B) (8 Laps) - Top 4 Transfer
- 98-Carl Bowser ; 2. 17B-Josh Baughman ; 3. 3G-Carson Macedo ; 4. 3-Jac Haudenschild ; 5. 35-Tyler Esh ; 6. 71-Ayrton Olsen ; 7. 46-Michael Bauer ; 8. 76-David Jones ; 9. 27K-Jeremy Kornbau 
Heat #3 - Group (C) (8 Laps) - Top 4 Transfer
- 87-Aaron Reutzel ; 2. 24-Rico Abreu ; 3. 22C-Cole Duncan ; 4. 23JR-Jack Sodeman Jr. ; 5. 11-Max McGhee ; 6. 7K-Cale Conley ; 7. 45-Trevor Baker ; 8. 33-Brent Matus ; 9. 13M-Brandon Matus 
Heat #4 - Group (D) (8 Laps) - Top 4 Transfer
- 14-Tony Stewart ; 2. 35Z-Jared Zimbardi ; 3. 49X-Tim Shaffer ; 4. 29-Dan Shetler ; 5. 17-Caleb Helms ; 6. 126-Bryan Salisbury ; 7. 1R-Gale Ruth Jr. ; 8. 55-Gary Kriess 
Heat #5 - Group (E) (8 Laps) - Top 4 Transfer
- 40-George Hobaugh ; 2. 2L-Sye Lynch ; 3. 4-Parker Price-Miller ; 4. 13-Paul McMahan ; 5. 5T-Travis Philo ; 6. 81-Lee Jacobs ; 7. 4W-Eric Williams 
Dash #1 (4 Laps)
- 87-Aaron Reutzel ; 2. 14-Tony Stewart ; 3. 17B-Josh Baughman ; 4. 10H-Chad Kemenah ; 5. 51-John Garvin ; 6. 40-George Hobaugh 
Dash #2 (4 Laps)
- 98-Carl Bowser ; 2. 3G-Carson Macedo ; 3. 22-Brandon Spithaler ; 4. 24-Rico Abreu ; 5. 2L-Sye Lynch ; 6. 35Z-Jared Zimbardi 
C-Main (10 Laps) - Top 2 Transfer
- 55-Gary Kriess ; 2. 4N-Jim Morris ; 3. 33-Brent Matus ; 4. 23-Darren Pifer ; 5. 27K-Jeremy Kornbau ; 6. 13M-Brandon Matus ; 7. 76-David Jones ; 8. 34M-Michael Marano II 
B-Main (12 Laps) - Top 4 Transfer
- 5T-Travis Philo ; 2. D4-Danny Holtgraver ; 3. 45-Trevor Baker ; 4. 11-Max McGhee ; 5. 81-Lee Jacobs ; 6. 7K-Cale Conley ; 7. 17-Caleb Helms ; 8. 71-Ayrton Olsen ; 9. 35-Tyler Esh ; 10. 46-Michael Bauer ; 11. 38-Dennis Wagner ; 12. 126-Bryan Salisbury ; 13. 55-Gary Kriess ; 14. 4W-Eric Williams ; 15. 4N-Jim Morris ; 16. 2-AJ Flick ; 17. 1R-Gale Ruth Jr. 
A-Main (30 Laps)
- 87-Aaron Reutzel ; 2. 3G-Carson Macedo ; 3. 3-Jac Haudenschild ; 4. 4-Parker Price-Miller ; 5. 14-Tony Stewart ; 6. 22-Brandon Spithaler ; 7. 49X-Tim Shaffer ; 8. 24-Rico Abreu ; 9. 98-Carl Bowser ; 10. 70-Dave Blaney ; 11. 40-George Hobaugh ; 12. 13-Paul McMahan ; 13. D4-Danny Holtgraver ; 14. 45-Trevor Baker ; 15. 11-Max McGhee ; 16. 29-Dan Shetler ; 17. 35Z-Jared Zimbardi ; 18. 2L-Sye Lynch ; 19. 5T-Travis Philo ; 20. 10H-Chad Kemenah ; 21. 7K-Cale Conley ; 22. 17-Caleb Helms ; 23. 17B-Josh Baughman ; 24. 51-John Garvin ; 25. 22C-Cole Duncan ; 26. 23JR-Jack Sodeman Jr.  Lap Leaders: Aaron Reutzel (1-30)
2018 All Star Circuit of Champions Driver Standings: (as of 5/5/2018)
- Aaron Reutzel - 676
- Jac Haudenschild - 666
- Parker Price-Miller - 646
- Chad Kemenah - 642
- Dave Blaney - 632
About the Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1:
All Star Enterprises, LLC, wholly owned by Tony Stewart, d/b/a the All Star Circuit of Champions, is a winged sprint car series. The All-Star Circuit of Champions Sprint Car Series is one of the oldest traveling 410 sprint car organizations and is a staple of grassroots, open-wheel racing. Formed in 1970 by Bud Miller, the series has largely been considered the first 'outlaw' Sprint Car organization of the modern era. Motorsports entrepreneur Tony Stewart agreed to terms with Guy Webb to become the sole owner of the original winged sprint car tour in January of 2015. In 2018, MAVTV Motorsports Network will be the official television home of the Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1 and will broadcast eight high-profile events.
About Arctic Cat:
For more than 50 years, the Arctic Cat snowmobile brand has stood as one of the most widely recognized and respected in the industry. Today Arctic Cat’s snowmobile product lines span more than 50 different models, with offerings for every style of riding, from trail-riding with the family, to long-distance touring with friends, to mountain sleds to handle the most severe backcountry conditions. For more information, visit: www.arcticcat.com.
About Textron Specialized Vehicles Inc:
Textron Specialized Vehicles Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of golf cars, utility and personal transportation vehicles, snowmobiles, side-by-sides, all-terrain vehicles, professional turf-care equipment, and ground support equipment. Textron Specialized Vehicles markets products under the E-Z-GO®, Cushman®, Arctic Cat®, Textron Off Road™, Jacobsen®, Dixie Chopper®, Ransomes®, TUG™, Douglas™, Premier™ and Safeaero™ brands. Its vehicles are found in environments ranging from golf courses to factories, airports to planned communities, and theme parks to hunting preserves.
About Mobil 1:
The world's leading synthetic motor oil brand, Mobil 1™ features anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond our conventional motor oils. This technology allows Mobil 1 to meet or exceed the toughest standards of car builders and to provide exceptional protection against engine wear, under normal or even some of the most extreme conditions. Mobil 1 flows quickly in extreme temperatures to protect critical engine parts and is designed to maximize engine performance and help extend engine life.
For more information, visit mobiloil.com, on Twitter @Mobil1 and, on Facebook, www.facebook.com/mobil1.
Mobil, Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Racing are registered trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
Photo Credit: Jason Brown Motorsports Photography
Contact: Tyler Altmeyer
Arctic Cat All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1
(724) 954-4915, firstname.lastname@example.org
Article Credit: Tyler Altmeyer
Submitted By: Tyler Altmeyer